I cooked up a huge batch of black beans a few days ago and honestly ran out of meal ideas—you can only have variants of rice and beans so many times in a row before it gets to be a bit much!
Enter Pinterest. Black bean burgers seemed the way to go! Of course, I was lacking some important ingredient in every recipe I found. After browsing enough, though, I realized I had enough working knowledge to test it out for myself!
And so, I set out to make my very own veggie burger recipe: just a tad daunting.
The end product was a bit softer than I would have liked, but the flavor was AMAZING.
Try it out for yourself and see what you think!
*A lot of these amounts were very much estimated, so feel free to work with it and make it perfect for YOU!*
Sweet Potato and Black Bean Burgers
- 1 cup cooked black beans, smashed
- 1 can yams (confession, I didn’t have *actual* sweet potatoes)
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- Seasonings, to taste (I used minced onion, black pepper, red pepper flakes, garlic, oregano, paprika, and chili powder)
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 egg substitute (I used Ener-G egg replacer, but feel free to get creative!)
- Combine the yams/sweet potatoes and black beans. A food processor would be awesome for this, if you’ve got one! I unfortunately had to use a fork, so it took a while!
- Add in (cooled!) quinoa and “egg.” Stir to combine.
- Season mixture to taste.
- Add cornstarch (adjust depending on how wet your mixture seems—you want it to hold together!).
- Form into patties.
- Cook over medium heat in a skillet, greased with cooking spray, for appr. five minutes per side.